The Next NBA

The Next NBA

Friday, July 16, 2004

Reality Basketball:  There is Last Comedy Standing, Next Action Heros, American Idols, but why isn’t there a reality T.V. show about basketball?  Travel around the United States…oh and Canada too, allowing people to come and showcase their skills.  Bring the one that is good to Hollywood and have contests, like 3-point shoot-out, one-on-one, 5-on-5, slam-dunk contest and let viewers choose who they think should move on.  Then whoever is the winner wins the right to be in the next draft.  Man, I can already see the drama, the lost dreams, and the family in tears when the person gets drafted at draft night.  Hell, maybe even David Stern and the rest of the fans might stay for the 2nd round just to see if this guy gets pick.  But whoever the winner is, I bet he's going to be drafted higher.  That would be one draft night!  There has got to be someone out there who is dam good at basketball but hasn't got the chance.  Maybe the person can’t afford to go to college, is living in isolated bad neighborhoods, or just never thought much about playing professionally? 
 
The other day, I went to the park to shoot some hoops.  This Arabian guy came over and asked if he could shoot with me.  He didn’t really ask me.  I wasn’t sure if he spoke any English.  He just clapped his hand like he wanted me to pass him the ball so I did.  I grew up playing basketball, I play high school, I was the captain of my team, even got chosen to go play for the city in which we went around completing in tournaments.  We never took less than 2nd place.  So I got game.  O.K. back to the Arabian guy.  We decided to play one-on-one.  I figure it would be an easy match.  First to  21 wins.  I took it easy on him because I was like, “Arabian people don’t play basketball.  Who has ever seen an Arabian person play basketball before?”  False stereotype!  The first game he beat me 21-19.  Man, he was good; this skinny dude was kicking my butt in a sport that I played all my life.  I was making 75% of my shots but he was making like 90% and he only spent 5 min. warming up.  I think he missed like two shots only.  We played another game in which I play much harder and beat him 21-0.  I made six 3’s in a roll.  Then the third game I again beat him 21-15.  Even though I won  2/3 of the matches, he surprised me.  He didn’t look like a basketball player at all and yet he had mad skills.  The only reason I beat him was because I was coached and he wasn’t.  What I am trying to say is that there are people out there who got games and no one knows about it.  Come on Mark Cuban, make this reality basketball happen!